FRENCH FASHION STREET. FASHION DESIGNER GAMES ONLINE. CHEAP LADIES FASHION ONLINE
French Fashion Street
- Fashion has been an important industry and cultural export of France since the seventeenth century, and modern “haute couture” originated in Paris in the 1860s.
- a thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks) that is lined with buildings; “they walked the streets of the small town”; “he lives on Nassau Street”
- the streets of a city viewed as a depressed environment in which there is poverty and crime and prostitution and dereliction; “she tried to keep her children off the street”
- A public road in a city or town, typically with houses and buildings on one or both sides
- Used to refer to the financial markets and activities on Wall Street
- The roads or public areas of a city or town
- the part of a thoroughfare between the sidewalks; the part of the thoroughfare on which vehicles travel; “be careful crossing the street”
french fashion street – French Connection
Founded in 1972 by Stephen Marks, French Connection creates well-designed, fashionable clothing that appeals to a broad range of customers. French Connection is one of the strongest brands on the British High street, operating in over 25 countries. With 26 stores in the United States and more than 1500 outlets worldwide, French Connection is a truly global fashion brand.
This Army t-shirt features ‘fcuk it’ across the chest in Black. The back has ‘fcuk’ at the neck.
Measurements – taken with shirt lying flat
Small – 19″ underarm to underarm; 26″ Length shoulder to hem
M – 20″ underarm to underarm; 27″ Length shoulder to hem
L – 21″ underarm to underarm; 28″ Length shoulder to hem
XL – 22″ underarm to underarm; 29″ Length shoulder to hem
XXL- 24″ underarm to underarm; 30″ Length shoulder to hem
The SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District lies in part within the western section of the Bayard Farm and during the 18th Century there was little change in its rural character.
This was due to the fact that it was cut off by natural barriers from the settlement at the lower tip of Manhattan. The Collect Pond and the stream flowing from it, Smith’s Hill, Bayard’s Hill and Lispenard’s Meadow (Cripplebush Swamp) all combined to slow the northward expansion of the City. Broadway was not extended north of Canal Street until after 1775 and the surrounding land, even at this date, was still being farmed.
When the Revolution erupted, a series of fortifications and redoubts were built across Manhattan. There were two forts on Mercer Street between Broome and Spring streets; a third was located in the center of the block bounded by Grand, Broome, Mercer and Greene streets and another stood between Grand and Broome Streets, Broadway and Crosby Street.breastworks stretched across Broadway a few feet north of Grand Street.
The Early Republic
As a result of financial difficulties caused by the Revolutionary War, Nicholas Bayard, the third of that name, was forced to mortgage his West Farm. It was divider into lots at the close of the 18th Century but very little development took place until the first decade of the 19th Century.
As early as 1794, the area near the junction of Broadway and Canal Street had attracted a few manufacturing businesses. On the northwest comer of the intersection stood the cast-iron foundry and sales shop of Joseph Blackwell, wealthy Merchant and owner of Blackwell’s Island.
Next to his property was that of y Thomas Duggan who owned a number of lots along Canal Street which was then called Dugyan Street. He operated a tannery near Blackwell’s foundry.
By the early 1800s, landowners in the area had begun to petition the Common Council to drain and fill the Collect Pond, its outlet to the Hudson River and Lispenard’s Meadow. What had been a bucolic retreat for the residents of the Dutch and English town had become a serious health hazard to the citizens of the City end an impediment to its development.
The shores of the Collect were strewn with garbage and the rotting carcasses of dead animals, the stream along Canal Street was a sluggish sewer of green water and parts of Lispenard’s Meadow were a bog that yearly claimed a number of cows. It was also a breeding ground for the mosquitoes that almost every summer spread the dreaded yellow fever plagues.
After years of bickering and numerous plans and proposals, Bayard’s Hill which stood over one hundred feet above the present grade of Grand Street and the other hills in the vicinity were cut down and used, together with the City’s rubbish, to fill in the marshy land.
In 1809, Broadway was paved and sidewalks were constructed from Canal Street to Astor Place and serious development of the area began. However, even before this, a number of prominent men had chosen to build their houses along this section of Broadway. Citizen Genet, James Fennimore Cooper, Samuel Lawrence and the Reverend John Livingston all lived near the intersection of Spring Street and Broadway.
Spring Street was one of the earliest streets opened for development and the oldest house in the Historic District still stands on Spring Street. It is No. 107, a frame house with a brick front built by Conrad Brooks, a shoemaker, about 1806.
Another early house on Spring Street is the Wlliam Dawes house at No. 129 which was built in 1817. As late as the 1950s a well of Manhattan Company which used to supply water to the City was located in an alley behind the house.
It was in this well that the body of Juliana Elmore Sands was discovered on January 2, 1800, and its discovery electrified the community. A young man named Levi Weeks who was said to be her fiance was arrested for her murder. He was defended, among others, by Aaron Burr, one of the organizers of the Manhattan Company, and by Alexander Hamilton.
It is ironic that these two men should join in the defense of Weeks but it indicates the enormous amount of public excitement and interest in the case. After three days of testimony before a packed courtroom and with hundreds of people crowded in the street outside, the jury found Weeks innocent of the charges It was determined that the young woman had committed suicide in a fit of melancholy.
But rumors about the affair persisted and tales of a white robed figure moaning at the well and alarm bells in the night continued for many years after the event.The mystery remained unique in the folklore of the City until the murder of Mary Rogers, a salesgirl in a cigar shop in the St. Nicholas Hotel, forty years later.
The sections of the hotel that are still standing on Broadway near Spring Street may occupy the site of this earlier hotel. The murder was described in depth by Edgar Allen Poe in his short story "The Mystery
Photo by Rebecca Burton